The Administration Department for the village includes the Village Manager, and Communications & Media Coordinator. The Village of Hazel Crest operates under the board / manager form of government. The village manager is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the village. The manager is appointed by the president and Board of Trustees and serves as business manager, attends all board meetings, and makes recommendations to the board. The village manager is responsible for implementing the policies and directives of the village president and Board of Trustees. The village manager supervises the village staff, consultants, and leads the development of staff, makes recommendations to the village president and board, and supports the village's various committees and commissions.
The village manager is the chief administrative officer of the government of the village and is responsible for the efficient administration of all departments of the village.
The powers and duties of the village manager shall be to:
- Enforce this Code and other ordinances within the village including applicable state statutes.
- Have all the powers and exercise all the duties granted in the Illinois Municipal Code to municipal clerks and comptrollers with respect to the preparation of a report of the estimated funds necessary to defray the expenses of the village for the fiscal year for the consideration of the president and board of trustees prior to the preparation of the annual appropriation ordinance.
- Prepare the budget annually and submit it to the board of trustees together with a message describing the important features and be responsible for its administration after adoption.
- Prepare and submit to the board of trustees as of the end of the fiscal year, a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the village for the preceding year.
- Keep the board of trustees advised of the financial condition and future needs of the village, and make such recommendations as he may deem necessary.
- Exercise control of all departments and divisions thereof created by the Illinois Municipal Code and by any ordinance of the village and by this Code and all amendments thereto.
- Direct any department or division to perform work for any other department or division.
- Recommend to the board of trustees the appointment, removal or suspension of all appointed officers who are required by law to be appointed by the board of trustees. No recommendation for appointment shall be made upon any basis other than that of merit or fitness.
- Administer the employment and personnel policies of the village as approved by the village president and board of trustees. Recruit, interview and employ necessary personnel for the several village departments and offices as required.
- Consolidate or combine offices, positions, departments, or units under his jurisdiction, with the approval of the board of trustees.
For a complete list of duties and responsibilities, see the Village of Hazel Crest Code of Ordinances.