When does a homeowner need a Building Permit?

First, check with Hazel Crest Inspectional Services to make sure a permit is required. Failure to obtain a building permit could result in a fine.
  • If a contractor is used by the owner to perform any work, the contractor must be registered in the Village of Hazel Crest before starting any work.
  • A permit is needed on certain types of home improvements, whether performed by the homeowner or a contractor.
  • It is the responsibility of the homeowner to be sure that a building permit is obtained prior to the start of work. Also, plan ahead, allow 7 to 10 days to process the permit.

The most common types of home improvements that require permits, whether the work is performed by the homeowner or a contractor:

  • New residences
  • Garages and sheds
  • Siding
  • Fireplaces
  • Decks
  • Central Air Conditioning
  • Roofs
  • All work requiring the pouring of concrete
  • Electrical Service changes
  • Swimming pools (permanent installation)
  • Additions
  • Fences, porches, patios, and driveways.

*Before beginning a project not listed above, it is still important to check with Inspectional Services just to make sure if a permit is or is not required.

What you’ll need to obtain a Permit

Why are permits required?

So that Inspectional Services may inspect the job for safety, zoning compliance, sound construction, and building code compliance. Building codes and building permits help protect the health, safety, and general welfare of residents of the community. Likewise, by requiring that the homeowner use a Village-registered contractor, the Village is helping to insure that the work is being done properly and that the homeowner is being protected.

The Department of Inspectional Services is located at the Village Hall, 3601 W. 183rd St. Hazel Crest, IL 60429. The phone number is 335-9600. We are open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Employment Opportunities


Click here for more information.